[ Before getting to today’s post, I just want to say WAY TO GO SCOTT WALKER, WAY TO GO WISCONSIN, and WAY TO GO TEA PARTIES!]
“Loose Lips Sink Ships” was a World War II slogan meaning that unguarded talk may give useful information to the enemy. It was a slogan that was taken to heart by every level of our military, by everyone in our government and, even by the men and women working in the factories producing tanks, airplanes and, ammunition and arms. It seems this is another example of history our President and Commander-in-Chief didn’t learn, Either that or he is too narcissistic to care about anyone other than himself.
Michael Goodwin wrote a blistering article for The New York Post where he refered to two recent NYT articles as
…It’s like two press releases coming from the Oval Office. It’s unheard of. It puts our people at risk and gives information to the enemy. And it gives our allies a reason not to work with us because what they do might show up on the front page of The New York Times.”
Goodwin also had this to say:
Panic is never pretty. When it involves a politician scrambling desperately to stay afloat, it is ugly. When it involves a president of the United States trading national-security secrets for political gain, it is obscene.
It’s more than obscene, It’s treasonous. Let’s run down just some of the stupidity Barack Obama is guilty of since he took over as Commander-in-Chief.
- He gave the Russians the secrets of the UK’s missile defense system.
- He ruined what ever small chance there was for a negotiated peace between Israel and the Palestinians when any he announced that any agreement would have to be based on the 1967 borders.
- He released classified information about Seal Team Six after they took out bin Laden putting team members at risk. Later, ge gave Hollywood producers access to classified information for them to use in a movie about Seal Team Six and the bin Laden mission.
- He let it be known that we had bin Laden’s DNA. It didn’t long for the Pakistan government to figure out that information could only have come from the doctor who had treated bin Laden. Trumped up charges were brought against the doctor who is now serving a 33 year sentence in a Pakistani prison.
- After our people foiled a second underwear bomber attempt ( wearing new and improved version of Yemen designed underwear), He let it be known that the bomber was really a double agent. The agent, of course had to flee for his life.
- The world has been aware for some time that someone; probably a nation-state, had infected Irani computers with a virus or worm (Stuxnet) that caused serious damage to their centrifuges used to enrich uranium. The suspicion has been that it was either or both the United States or Israel. He removed all deniability by recently bragging that it was indeed the United States and Israel and that there were plans for more cyber-attacks. How long will it be before Iran, with the help of China or Russia, returns the favor?
In the above bullet list, I use the pronoun “He” generically to mean either Obama himself or someone in his administration acting with his approval.
From this Human Events article, we learn that Senate Armed Services Committee ranking member John McCain is less than happy about all these leaks:
A May 29 NYT story, “Obama’s Secret Kill List,” cited “three dozen” of Obama’s advisers, past and present, while exhaustively detailing the president’s process of identifying terrorist targets for elimination. A June 1 Times report relied on information from anonymous members of Obama’s national security team to describe how the president called for cyberattacks on Iranian computer systems using the hacking software Stuxnet–information McCain said even he was not privy too.
“The administration helped journalists similarly to publish some of the highly sensitive tactics, techniques and procedures,” McCain said. “This flurry of anonymous boasting possibly led to exposure of Dr. Shakil Afridi whose public exposure led to his detention and 33-year sentence in Pakistan. Our friends are not the only ones who read the New York Times. Our enemies do too.”
According to this article from The Hill, even Democrats are upset about these leaks:
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), chairwoman of the Intelligence Committee, said the leak about the attack on Iran’s nuclear program could “to some extent” provide justification for copycat attacks against the United States.
“This is like an avalanche. It is very detrimental and, candidly, I found it very concerning,” Feinstein said. “There’s no question that this kind of thing hurts our country.”
Several Democrats noted with alarm that the Iranian cyber leak is just the latest in a series of media reports that disclosed classified information about U.S. anti-terrorism activity.
“A number of those leaks, and others in the last months about drone activities and other activities, are frankly all against national-security interests,” said Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. “I think they’re dangerous, damaging, and whoever is doing that is not acting in the interest of the United States of America.”
So, Mr. Obama is receiving heat over the leaks from both sides of the aisle. Do you think he cares? Not a chance. Do you think the leaks will stop? Not likely. If these leaks were coming from anyone else other than the President or one of his designees, they would be in prison just like soldier Bradley Manning who provided classified information to Wikileaks.
Well, that’s what I’m thinking. What are your thoughts?