Today’s Guest Saturday post comes to us from A Conservative Teacher. This essay was originally published on Monday, October 15, 2012.
Latest Data Shows No Global Warming Since 1997: Hold Accountable Those Who Passed Legislation Pushing Faulty Assumption to the Contrary
According to new data released last week, the world stopped getting warmer almost 16 years ago- from the beginning of 1997 until today there has been no discernible rise in aggregate global temperatures. This period of temperature stability comes after a period of rising warming from 1980 to 1996, which itself was preceded by a period of declining temperatures from 1940 to 1980. And in a larger perspective, since the world has emerged out of the Little Ice Age which lasted from 1550 to 1850, the world has been slowing getting warmer. But the key point here- which is very important- is that the assumption that the world has been steadily getting warming since 1980 as a result of human activity is now totally and completely wrong. Oh, I am sure there will be evidence that the world begins to warm again, but this will be due to sunspot activity on the sun and not human actions.
There are many who will take this information and simply make a joke about it, but the truth of the matter is that this information is no laughing matter. On the assumption that the world was getting warmer and would continue to get increasingly warmer, politicians in the United States made important policy decisions regarding energy, transportation, and commerce.
On a faulty assumption politicians, including two who are on the ballot here in Michigan- President Barack Obama and Senator Debbie Stabenow- pushed policies that have hurt real people. Here are all the ways that they were wrong and should be held accountable this November:
- They that took hard-earned taxpayer money and speculated on industries like solar and wind that have since gone bankrupt.
- They stopped drilling for natural gas and oil and coal, and in doing so led to many hard-working people being laid off, lower revenues and profits from American energy companies, and less tax revenues.
- They led to higher energy prices for citizens of the United States, forcing these free people to pay higher amounts at the pump, higher amounts to heat their homes, and higher amounts to power their lives than they should have.
- They forced companies that use energy- virtually every company but especially manufacturing- to pay more money than they should have on the assumption that if they didn’t the world would continue to warm up.
- They pushed for their now-incorrect assumptions to be indoctrinated to young students across the country, jamming into the state-mandated curriculum the belief that the world was getting warmer and would continue to do so unless people repented (see my experience fighting this in my post Questioning Global Warming Compared by Committee to Other ‘Falacies’ Like Believing in God: A Personal Story).
- They have supported through PBS and other media outlets and their own leadership the harassment and intimidation of those who doubted their assumptions, leading ‘popular society’ today to buy the faulty assumption that the world was warming today (see my post on this subject called The Horror of Disbelieving in Global Warming).
- They have pushed CAFE requirements and other regulations on American companies that have real consequences- creating automobiles that are more expensive and force the poor and needy to put more of their disposable income into transportation and leading to cars that are lighter and less safe which has led to more fatalities (see my post on this subjectNew CAFE Requirements Will Lead to Human Sacrifices at the Altar of the Green God?).
- To repeat that last point- they have, based on their wrong assumptions, pushed policies that have led to more Americans dying than would have if they would have been left free.
Let me all refresh you on an email that I received three years ago from Senator Stabenow, a Democrat on the ballot here in Michigan- in reply to a letter that I sent to her opposing the job-killing Cap-and-Trade bill, she replied back to me stating (and I quote) “the science on this issue is settled and there is now no debate over global warming.” (see my post Senator Stabenow Out of Touch With Majority of Americans on Global Warming Issue).
Senator Stabenow has now been shown to be wrong- the science on this issue is now much closer to being settled proving that there is no debate that there is no global warming occurring. But again, it’s not simply that she has been proven wrong and did not keep an open mind about an important issue such as this one, it is that in her wrongness she passed policies and laws which had real impacts on the American people. If someone is wrong about something in their personal life, that’s just them being wrong- but when a legislator or President is wrong about an important issue such as this one and has pushed and passed policies that have real drawbacks and problems based on this wrong assumption, than they need to be held accountable.
These politicians who pushed for CAFE requirements and Cap-and-Trade need to be held accountable for their actions. Go here for Cap-and-Trade results and vote out anyone who voted in favor of it. The Obama administration, which was supported by Democrats, are directly and solely responsible for the new CAFE requirements and should be held accountable for their passage based on wrong assumptions.