People in general are enthralled by those who achieve a first. Robert Ripley earned his living reporting on such things ( Ripley’s Believe It or Not).
I don’t know if the Democratic Party is listed in Ripley’s’ book; but if it isn’t, it should be. The Democratic Party surely owes much of its success in American politics to its penchant for providing the voters with presidential “firsts”. Here are just some examples that come to mind:
- Woodrow Wilson _ First in a long line of socialists presidents.
- John F. Kennedy _ First Catholic president.
- Jimmy Carter _ First peanut farmer president.
- William Jefferson Clinton _ First black man but white-skinned president.
- Barack H. Obama _ First white man but black-skinned president.
What other “firsts” might the Democratic Party offer up to the American voters? Here is what your humble observer of the asylum we all have to live thinks may be coming down the pike:
- The first woman president
- The first Hispanic president
- The first Jewish president ( The current Mayor of Chicago?)
- The first openly gay president
- The first transgender president
- The first Muslim president
- The first last president
A friend of mine recently said that we do not always get the government we deserve. Most of the time, he said, we get a government worse than we deserve. He’s right!
Well, that’s what I’m thinking. What are your thoughts?